Forums
Forums >>> >>>
Confrontation
Confrontation

Development Team Leader

User

Saaya fought back angry tears as she strode with determination to Ysabel's office.

*knock knock*

No answer.

Never here when you need her, huh? She tapped her foot impatiently. Ysabel had an "open door policy": did that mean she was welcome to open it at any time, there or not? ;) Saaya tested the handle; it gave without resistance and the door swung open. The office was cool and dim, and Ysabel was indeed nowhere in sight. If she wasn't here to answer questions, maybe something here could on her behalf?

Closing the door quietly behind her, Saaya made her way to the massive oaken desk that was now home to (and completely covered in) a myriad of parchments with a mess of notes about NECon 2014 and other random staff goings-on.

"Staff Restructure"

"New Staff Application"

"GameMaster Tier Descriptions"

"New Staff Manual Outline"

"Community Protection Policies and Procedures Revisions Proposal"

"NECon 2014 Proposed Schedule"

"NECon 2014 Staff Uniforms"

"NECon 2014 Promotional Videos"

"NECon 2014 Community Image Contests"

Jeez, the woman liked her big fancy words, didn't she?! None of this was what she wanted. Where were the applications? Saaya pulled out drawer after drawer and rifled through their contents. Finally, she found a stack of applications containing everything from the most recent hires all the way back to the earliest days of the server, but as she flipped through them for the third and then fourth time she started to believe that the one she sought wasn't missing; it just didn't exist. Ysabel was usually a stickler for an application, even from the most trusted ex-staff returning after only a short period of time. Why was there no application from Decode?

On her fifth pass through the stack, a small, worn, hand-crafted note-parchment fluttered out and onto the ground. She picked it up and unfolded it, curious. The words were written in an old-fashioned quill calligraphy and read:

My dear Ysabel,

It's far too long since we've spoken or exchanged a written word. I am soon passing through and will pause to pay you and all of Neverendless a visit. Tell Blackswann I can't wait to see the new core. I'm also interested by your suggestion and hope we can speak in more detail about it when I arrive. As you know, I am happy to do what I can to help Neverendless and of course you, especially. By the time this note arrives I will be but a day's ride away. I look forward eagerly to seeing you once again.

Ever yours,

Decode

"Just WHAT are you doing?!" Ysabel's sharp tone startled Saaya into dropping the letter and the entire stack of applications, which spread in a fan at her feet.

"I... You need to explain to me what's going on, Ysa! Who is Decode, and why is he here, doing everything for NECon? What about our plans? You haven't been around to discuss anything with me! And now, what? You're replacing me?!" Saaya stood, fists and jaw clenched, and resolved to show only anger rather than the defeat that was eating away at her since Decode's introduction.

Ysabel narrowed her eyes. "You're here snooping in MY office, and you think I have to explain anything to YOU? Think again! GET OUT!" She held open the door expectantly and glared at Saaya.

What the heck... Saaya was taken aback. The usually patient and soft-spoken Ysabel looked furious. So she'd been sneaking around... well... Ysa should have told her this stuff! She could have at least been there to answer questions! Was it really Saaya's fault she had to go looking for the information herself!? Do I even know who you are anymore? she thought, but didn't dare say. As invited and expected, she said nothing further and rushed past Ysabel, out the door. It was slammed unceremoniously behind her. Saaya stopped for a moment, shocked again at the unusual behavior of her whom she'd thought was a friend. Now there was no more holding back, and tears began streaming down her face.

Luckily, no one passed her in the hallways as she returned to her "Ballroom," as she called it. "Community Entertainment Supervisor"? What was this shiny new title for, anyway? Wasn't she supposed to be in charge of keeping the players happy and entertained, now both in- and out-of-game? It was true things on staff had been a bit disorganized as titles were changed and jobs redefined, but she had felt certain of her place in things... until now.

Saaya sat down in her desk chair, gazed out her window and sighed. She'd been so excited. Now things seemed such a mess. As she turned her chair back toward her desk with the intention of grabbing a handkerchief to wipe her dampened cheeks and get to work once again on finishing the NECon Schedule (if that was still wanted of her, anyway), something on the far corner of her desk caught her eye.

There sat a small, square, red box tied with a wide, gold ribbon. How did this get here? Suddenly she forgot the drama of the past hour and with child-like curiosity picked up the package. A note was attached, addressed to her:

To Saaya, the Raven-Haired,

As sweet as you from a distance may sound and seem to be,
Such a gift as this is surely not nearly as sweet.
As lovely as to my heart your heart now is
More lovely would be a day on which we meet.

For you and with all my love,

He Who Admires You Most

She reread the note over and over. Well... lol... a bit cheesy isn't he? She'd never received anything like this before. What was she supposed to do? Who could it be from? Ugh... it was probably just some creepy guy... Still, chocolate was chocolate! She shrugged and bit into one of the candies, for the moment, lost in thought about this mystery and nothing more.

<Hidden>

User

First! Also so stoked, this is amazing. Love the poem, great rhyme scheme. A > B > A > B all the way!

<Hidden>

User

Awww poor Saaya! She's so upset D: Ysa should have at least explained :P

DON'T WORRY SAAYA!

I love the progress so far, the poem was awesome btw, awesome job Mr. Narrator sir! ^^

hollow_sk

User

Didn't read a word.

Shinkai

User

^ Level 115 TROLL priest...

<Hidden>

User

Blodwen, smartass, good story but i no time read ty

Mystique

User

Great job so far!! We are waiting with bated breath for more and for NE CON 2014 to begin. Cheers!

<Hidden>

User

Okay, GG , but idk how to read!

<Hidden>

User

^ You cant read but you can write? Are you blind or a fail troll?

Back to topic: nice story, gave me something to read while having dinner lol ty :)

<Hidden>

User

hey dont be mean to zagy hes not hurting anyone :c

but i still sorta think there should be a tl;dr at the bottom or something. not everyone is going to be into this story but still want to learn more about NEcon for this year :l

Leonidas

User

no bm'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Ysabel

Director, Operations

If you're not into the story then feel free to skip it. ;) However, there may be some enjoying the unconventional format, so if you're too lazy to pick out the parts that interest you at least don't clog this up with comments begging the author to summarize for you. :P

<Hidden>

User

But i wasn't begging or clogging up anything o.o It was more of a suggestion. And i wasn't only speaking for myself. I was just trying to think ahead for NEcon. If people don't read the story then they might not learn about the specifics of NEcon. And if some people don't know all that much about it then it might lead to them not ever even participating or attending. As for myself, I have already skimmed through it enough to acquire said information about NEcon. But just because i did doesn't mean everyone else will. Sure a lot of people like the story, but theres also people who aren't interested in it. And just because certain people aren't interested in it, that doesn't mean they're a bad person or a negative influence to the server. I just don't think its nice to dismiss other players simply because they don't like what they were expected to like. But you have my apologies if what i said annoyed you :s i did not mean for it to be interpreted in such a way.

<Hidden>

User

WAH!!!! How dear he give chocolate to my Saaya, at least she said she loved me first... Muahaha

You need to be logged in to reply.