Forums
Forums >>> >>>
Authenticator Reminder
Authenticator Reminder

Development Team Leader

User

We've just revamped the Authenticator page in the Account Management section of the site to make it more user friendly and easier to use. Having done that (a couple of icons are still on order, but they should be here soon), I thought it would be a great time to remind everybody about the authenticators, and why you might want to use them.

What is an Authenticator?

Some of you may know it as two-factor authentication, but an authenticator is an application that will run on your phone, and generate a 6 or 8 digit code every 30 seconds. With an authenticator attached to your account, the game and website will ask you for this code in addition to your username and password.

The use of an authenticator is completely optional, but significantly increases the security of your account.

The Neverendless Authenticator on a Nokia N95
362x442px 73KiB
The Neverendless Authenticator on an Android device
442x602px 140KiB
Google Authenticator
602x922px 152KiB
The authenticator prompt during login
536x381px 84KiB

Why should you use one?

The 6 or 8 digit codes that are generated by the device can only be used once, and last about 90 seconds before expiring. They change every 30 seconds, and only the server and your authenticator app knows what the codes should be. This makes it significantly harder for peopel to steal your account, as even with your username and password they won't be able to log in without a recent, unused, 6 or 8 digit code from your app.

How/Where can I get one?

Authenticator apps are available for Android phones, old-style J2ME phones (remember the days before touchscreens?), and also on iOS, Windows Phone, and Blackberry. There are links to where you can find these apps on the Authenticator page.

Who else is using this type of system?

Two-factor authentication is quite popular for online gaming since nefarious people have a financial incentive to steal your account. Blizzard have had this system for many years (as have we), Rift also use such a system, and big name sites such as Dropbox and Google also offer this protection to their users.

So what are you waiting for?

Matahari

User

good job, keep on goin Stew

townshend

User

So wait, do we have to do it or not? Compulsory or not?

townshend

User

and what about sharing accs? I have access to all my friend's accounts, so do they to mine. And we live in different place... ?

Ysabel

Director, Operations

No, this is not cumpulsory, but it is a very good idea to use an Authenticator if you are able as it does add an extra layer of security to your account. Remember that you are responsible for keeping your account secure; this is just another tool we provide to help you do that.

As for sharing accounts, Neverendless does not advocate, encourage or support account sharing. When you share your account, you open the door to all kinds of problems; believe me, I have seen it all. We cannot protect you when you share your account, and we cannot get involved in disputes of ownership. If you lose your account due to having given out the login details, we cannot fix it for you. We strongly urge you not to share your accounts with anyone as this is the only way to ensure that you will not get it "stolen." Keep your login details private, do not allow access to your e-mail account and if you are able, use an authenticator. These are the steps that will keep your account safe.

townshend

User

Don't worry about me sharing accs :) I know where they live anyway :D Besides, we dont know each otehr''s emails anyway. CHillax. Its all good.

Thanks for fast reply :)

<Hidden>

User

@ Pagaro: and you still want more accounts?:P pff!

@ News: <like it> if it is on Google Play I will get it as fast as possible ;)

/cheer!

You need to be logged in to reply.