Forums
Forums >>> >>>
Archaeology on Deathwing
Archaeology on Deathwing

Development Team Leader

User

Yes, the little surprise on deathwing a few days ago was archaeology. This is now available for you all to play with, it was designed and built to be almost exactly blizzlike, and we're working to implement the archaeology-related achievements as well.

For those of you not familiar with archaeology, read on for a few details.

First up - I recommend this archaeology addon - Archy for 4,0,6.

Secondly - unlike normal gathering professions, archaeology is purely a personal endeavour - other people can't swoop in and steal your archaeology dig sites or your finds.

So what happens?

When you learn archaeology you will get randomly assigned one archaeology project per race. There are a number of different races, with more unlocking as your skill goes up. You will always have exactly one active project for each race, and can be do the same project more than once. To complete a project you need to acquire Archaeology Fragments, which you get from dig sites.

You will also be randomly assigned 4 dig sites on Eastern Kingdoms and 4 dig sites on Kalimdor. (When you hit 300 skill you'll also get 4 in Outland and at 375 you'll get 4 in Northrend as well). You will always have 4 dig sites per continent, so when one goes away, another gets added.

So how do you find fragments at a dig site?

Archaeology gives you a spell called 'Survey'. This spell is only usable inside a dig site, and what it will do is set down a piece of equipment named a Theolodite (the name is not important, it looks like a telescope with a flashing light). The scope will point in the direction of the fragment you're trying to find, and the flashing light will be either red, yellow, or green depending on how far away you are. Move closer to the target, cast survey again and it'll give you another reading. Repeat until eventually instead of a Theolodite you'll get an archaeology find, with some fragments inside.

You may also get a keystone inside your achaeology find. Some archaeology projects have up to 3 keystone sockets, and if you have a keystone socket in your current project, and have one of the right keystones then you can put the keystone in and it will count as 12 fragments. So if a project has 3 keystone sockets you can use keystones to reduce the number of fragments you need by 36 - and keystones can be bought and sold on the auction house as well. You don't HAVE to use a keystone if your project has a keystone socket, it's an optional thing, but it's usually worth it if you have one.

So why do archaeology?

Archaeology creates two types of item - common items (which you will usually sell to a vendor for between 1 and 375g) and rare items, which can be a mount, companion pet, armor, weapon, or cosmetic item. The full list is available on Wowhead.

For more information on Archaeology (in case I missed something here), Wowpedia has a lot of information available on the subject.

Have fun.

Pussicat

User

Thanks Development Team! This should be fun to play with.

<Hidden>

User

thats why I met today a lot of people at the dig sites, because they read it here :) nice

Rammler

User

sadly you cant get the realm first achieves for 450 and 525 anymore :P (nor the guildachievement for having all profs at 525) :P

oh, stewart, there's no skill points for digging fragments/looting them. But that should give skill points until 50 or so.

<Hidden>

User

The only issue I've noticed is artifacts spawning in trees. Not sure if that's supposed to happen or not.

Syzygy

User

Woooo! I've been looking forward to this. I'm going to try it out right now!

modron

User

The only issue I've noticed is artifacts spawning in trees. Not sure if that's supposed to happen or not.

..... and inside building , mountain or to high on mountain wall , so you can reach them . A Fix of this issue will be very very good :) .
BTW very nice work NE staff and keep going like that !!!!!

<Hidden>

User

Is this going to be available on Arthas by any chance?

Blackswann

Owner/Founder

You realize that 3.3.5 wotlk has no archeology in the client right?

<Hidden>

User

Well I am new to the game and I dont know anything about what came out when.

Kranith

User

Well, the correct name of the "scope" that appears when you cast the Survey spell is NOT Theolodite, but THEODOLITE! :D

Anyway great job NE this is really nice!! Btw if appearing items bug could be fixed and also the rising skill, this would be the best!!
NEverendless is always awesome!! :)

<Hidden>

User

Btw today I cant see the dig sites...

Rammler

User

you enabled being able to see them on your map? (next to the show quests thingy)

<Hidden>

User

I am doing archeology since it is up, and today I logged in and I there is nothing showing off. I'll check it out, again.

<Hidden>

User

Yes it turned out, somehow it was unticked. :o

<Hidden>

User

I have absolutley no idea on how to do archeology. Is there any good benifits for me to learn it? Besides the mount.

BloodyLady

User

Very nice i want to try it but i cant find an Archaeology teacher.

Greetings BloodyLady

<Hidden>

User

hi Development Team can you pls help me i got the add on and i restarted the game and pc but still i't dos now want to work for me :(

You need to be logged in to reply.