Forums
Forums >>> >>>
Character Pruning and New Hardware in the EU
Character Pruning and New Hardware in the EU

Blackswann

Owner/Founder

On March 28, 2012 we will be doing the largest database maintenance we've ever had on Neverendless-WoW, in preparation to move the server to a new host in Germany.

Any characters not logged in-game on or after January 1, 2012 will be completely erased from the database (and thus removed from your accounts). Accounts themselves will not be deleted.

If you wish to preserve your characters please make sure to log them in-game prior to March 28, 2012. Deleted characters cannot be restored, so please take action now. Notify your in-active friends and guildies as well!

So what's this about moving the server? Switching hosts will provide us with many technical and financial benefits. As discussed in-game the other day, we will no longer need to take the server down for backups, as it will be done on the fly.

There are rumors flying that this move will cause some players depending on location to experience increased lag. I want to assure you that this will not be the case. While you latency may be slightly affected, the server does not now and will not, once moved, have lag. Please keep in mind that latency is measured in milliseconds, and a change of a few hundred milliseconds is in fact imperceptible and will not affect your gameplay. If you are experiencing "lag" please consider that your FPS (frames per second - which is dependent on your computer hardware and system load) and your latency (which is dependent on your ISP and your bandwidth allocation, including your computer's communication with the server) is not the same thing as the server lagging. We have not had lag on the server for 18 months, and do not expect that this move will change that in a detrimental way.

You can decrease your perception of "lag" (low FPS and high latency) in a few ways:

• Reduce system load on your machine (close other programs, increase your computer's performance, stop unnecessary processes including downloads and uploads)
  • Make better use of your bandwidth (do not stream video or upload/download files while playing, consider whether others on your connection are using bandwidth)
  • Improve your machine's hardware (upgrade your video card, add more RAM)

This cleanup and host change will be a big improvement for everyone! Thanks in advance for your support and cooperation, and spread the word!

B

<Hidden>

User

So let's say if the acc deleted has a char named "Rich", will it be available for me to take it and if that person comes back he will have to rename his char? asking cause theres like a couple of names i want :P, hope u understand my question :P

Blackswann

Owner/Founder

deleted character names will go back into the pool and we will not be offering deleted characters as originally stated...

Obvious

User

Bobby, I have not been able to play since New Years cause my PC thought it was a good idea to crash. As far as I can tell, only my main account has been active this year according to my account page.

I would hate to see my accounts just disappear..

Blackswann

Owner/Founder

The account page doesnt lie... it comes right from the DB :)

<Hidden>

User

Hm I understand the need to delete characters that are not active but deleting characters that haven't been played in 2012 is a bit harsh...I myself know a lot of people who're having a break since the ending of 2011 and it wouldn't be cool if they came back and found their chars deleted...just my opinion

<Hidden>

User

If I start lagging even more then I give up WOW from NE. I am enough laggy atm with the ****py PC and now in case it become more laggy, it'll be death. Reducing FPS, no way that my PC can reduce FPS the three ways above, because I am already practical in that from years ( since I have this pc), and it just cannot be done something about it to go far in tom performance,

On the other hand, maybe this is a good step for NE-WoW community. :) In case I cannot play anymore since the changes, good luck to NE team and to everyone, but I doubt that i wont be able to play, I doubt that I'll have more lag, but just in case. :)

The Legend Continues.

Shmanoftwman

User

I am a non custom, but what if a donor hasnt logged since Jan. 1st of this year? They lose their customs? Will there be refunds? A good question I think, considering all the donor friends I have

mantis445

User

Soo i got to login on or after Jan 1 and my account will not be deleted?

<Hidden>

User

Since Jan 2012?
I mean personally i have nothing to loose cuz i m quite active but i guess yea lets give a chance to some people who have taken a break from the game?
May be get the date back down to 3 more months ?
However i really appreciate the changes cuz its gonna let me get some cool names i have been waiting for like forever xD.

<Hidden>

User

How long will the server be down for during hardware change?

<Hidden>

User

When you say logged into the game, is that as far as the character selection screen or actually picking a char and logging into the game itself?

<Hidden>

User

hi in 28 mart i need only to logalt riht no to stay all day online i have 5 6 acc and i need to know.

BoSNiaN

User

Anyway, not happy to see this :( I know the server used to be hosted in Germany ~2009 and I was getting 150ms which is OK, but not great. Since it was moved to Texas, I've been getting ~50ms which is really good!

Also, EU hosts are almost always more expensive than U.S ones so I don't see how it would be cheaper...Finally, I think most of us (including staff) are from North America so it makes more sense to have it hosted in North America to make sure WE get better ping (don't you want better ping too Bobby? :P).

<Hidden>

User

Bosanac,I dont agree with you.
Becouse most of the players are European

<Hidden>

User

Im im evropa and now i have 100ms i not have problem for the letency

<Hidden>

User

I cannot log in to all my chars before march 28 but I dont want my chars to get deleted... What do I do???

jov_0001

User

How Much Time The server goin to be Off line For this maintenance??? We most to Take Pic Off Our professions, Talents and Items?????

<Hidden>

User

How Much Time The server goin to be Off line For this maintenance??? We most to Take Pic Off Our professions, Talents and Items?????

mae not make noise and stay quiet this rod is a base change xD and I think it would be less noobs xD because I have seen no q some names have been taken by characters who are no longer in use and would be great to use those names. ... the bad thing is that I will have lag D:

Lopezkaroteno

User

Ill take the names "Foster","Captsam" and "Tripleturbo" Kthnxbye

<Hidden>

User

Hehe, do u think posting the names u want to take is a good idea?
...just saying. :D

<Hidden>

User

I'll take the name Aerith.

<Hidden>

User

ILL BE NEW SKULLHAMMER

<Hidden>

User

what about banned accounts? The banned will be lifted?

Jem

User

REMINDER: comments that violate server rules can lead to an ingame ban and any further in the thread will be deleted and the poster will receive consequences.

jesmick

User

How Much Time The server goin to be Off line For this maintenance???

<Hidden>

User

sorry about that

<Hidden>

User

hey mynce we should be ok, server location is moving closer to us, (Germany) :) so our latency should be lower after DB mainterence :)
cheers NE , you are the best <3<3

<Hidden>

User

but Jan 1 has just past away ,how would we be so sure that wev'e log in on that particularly day,,
aaaah succjjjing,,,,

<Hidden>

User

tell WHAT TIME WOULD BE THAT MAINTENANCE BE DONE SO I COULD GET PREPARED?????

You need to be logged in to reply.